I cleaned and chopped up the precious root, simmering it for 1 hour then straining out and simmering 2 small skeins of wool and gauze in the dye for a further hour. The one root only permitted me 100% wof strength but a pleasant pinkish brown was achieved, which changed to a duller brown dipped in room temperature iron water. Heating up the iron water would probably have changed the colour more dramatically but would have been more harmful to the wool fibres..
One of these skeins I tried in the next dye made from dock leaves....
The leaves were treated as for the tulip leaves and the resulting colours shown below