About 200%wof was used and I was suprised just how lovely and bright the green was. I'd begun to expect rather lichen shades.
I collected some leaves and also some bark from fallen branches lying underneath. The leaves were put in a bucket and steeped initially overnight in freshly boiled water then brought to a simmer for 1 hour the next morning. the leaves were strained out and alum mordanted fibres added, simmered for 1 hour and left overnight to cool.
The bark was treated the same except It steeped in a bucket for 3 days before heating. Since there would be tannin from the bark I did not mordant the fibres here.
A couple of days later I went back and found lots of fallen alder cones. Put in a bucket I added recently boiled water to cover and left overnight. After only a few minutes I could see the water had turned a rich brown. All the contained seeds and oils had been released from the cones and there was quite an aroma by the morning. I brought this mixture to a simmer for an hour, strained the liquid and added my fibres. After an hour's simmer I let it cool down. The fibres both unmordanted and mordanted with alum were a rich golden brown which turned a lovely dark black/brown when modified in heated iron water.